I can not believe the day is upon us. The day that so many stay at home moms dream of. The day that makes all those days of preschool, toddler play dates, and suffering through the Wiggles all worth it. The day your youngest goes off to kindergarten. I have worked almost 8 years for this day. Yet, I can't even think about it without getting that stupid lump in my throat and tears welling up in my eyes. Of course, I will enjoy being able to run and errand in under 15 minutes or be on a conference call without having to mute a "will you wipe my bum" request. But, I'll also miss having that sweet little voice ask me to hold him and watch Max and Ruby. I'll miss spending long mornings at the parks (if the Earth will ever move back to it's original position and not so close to the sun). So many emotions are attached to this event and I know by Wednesday it will all be in the past and I will enjoy my new found freedom. But for the next day or two, I will be sad, ok hysterical, mourning the passage of my little boy into the world of "school aged" child. I wrote a letter to Henry on this same day, two years ago. Now, it's time to write one again.....
Dear Hudson,
I can not believe this day is finally here! You are officially a kindergartener. I know, I know. You keep telling me you are not going and that you think it is going to be boring. I promise you it will be fun and you will actually like it (even though you will never admit it to me). There are a few pointers I'd like to give you to help make your days better, while you are away from me.
1. Be nice. Please, for the love of God, be nice. I know kids can get on your nerves and I know you get mad when kids color the sky the wrong color, or don't build an anatomically correct cat with the legos. It doesn't matter. Don't yell at them that they are doing it wrong. Remember, no one likes a jerk.
2. Try something new. Really. You have so many preconceived notions about things. This is a chance for you to try a new food, use a different color marker, sit in a different seat once in a while.
3. Your teacher really is smarter than you. Trust me. I know you think you are an expert on everything, but you are not. So, try your best to listen and learn.
4. Don't eat the paste. This is a very important life lesson for any child. I know you are more of a sniffer, but don't let the other kids tempt you into trying a bite.
5. Be nice. Did I mention this one already? Be nice to everyone. Every kid deserves a friend and I expect you to be one instead of being mean. Especially the girls. You never know when you might need a date to prom.
I'm warning you now that I will be a mess tomorrow. You will have my tears on your backpack, in your lunchbox, on your desk...... It's not because I am worried about you. It's because I am so sad at how fast you are growing up. I know you will always need me, but things will be different now. Your teacher will be getting the bulk of your sweet little kamakazi arm kisses and your little bear hugs. She will get to hear most of your funny little observations. She will get to see you play with your friends. I'm so sad that I will be missing much of this. You're lucky. Lots of mommies will just have another baby to fill the void. But, since you don't like babies and I don't like changing diapers, this will never happen. You will always be my youngest. My little guy. I have cherished our days together and will miss you so much. And I will be there as soon as the bell rings to hear all about your first day as a big kid and I expect a couple of those arm kisses.
Love,
Mommy
******oh and big props to mother nature for blessing me with raging PMS this weekend. I was already emotional, but thanks to you and the influence of hormones, it feels more like Hud is going off to war. On Mars. Without oxygen. I really didn't need the added amount of crazy, but you went ahead and sprinkled it on for good measure. So, in addition to Kleenex, today I will also be caring massive amounts of chocolate and Aquaban. Maybe I'll just shoot for the moon and come home and watch Steele Magnolias and Sophie's choice today and eat brownie batter out of a bowl. Wait, no, not good because if I show up after school, with red puffy eyes, swollen face, dried snot all over me, bits of Kleenex stuck to my face and brownie batter in my hair, they might not release the boys to me. Better stick to shopping.
No comments:
Post a Comment